Sunday 2 March 2014

Oscars 2014: my favorites and predictions

Hi there! Missed me? Well, after the best month in my life, I'm back! And if time allows I'm going to share some of my beautiful experiences with you. But first... Sunday evening is almost here! If you know me, you also know I can't live without films. And despite travelling and much going on, of course I've been watching films and seen main nominees for Oscars 2014. Unfortunately I didn't write reviews yet but no worries, I'll publish them after the event and red carpet coverage.

Movie geeks can't wait for 86th Academy Awards ceremony that will be host by comedian Ellen DeGeneres (for the second time). So here is my rough opinion about who is my favorite and how I think Academy will decide. I also wanted to add films, actors and other artisans who I think were left out but I changed my mind. Every year Academy does things (overlooks or overrates) somone so it's kind of pointless to be upset about (and I know it's hard to do so:)). There will always be disagreements on those things... Let's go!


Best Picture
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street

My favorites: The Wolf of Wall Street was just amazing! Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena and Her were great as well. But...

Prediction:
... One of these three films will win best picture in my opinion: 12 Years a Slave, Gravity or American Hustle. Funny enough I wasn't really impressed with any of them. They are good for sure but the best? I think not.




Best Actor in a Leading Role
Christian Bale (American Hustle)
Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

My favorites: Leonardo DiCaprio! He's one of the best actors, I love his work and he was extraordinary brilliant in portraying Jordan Belfort. I would be so happy if he (finally) wins!

Prediction: If I conclude up to the present awards, Oscar will go to Matthew McConaughey. Yes, he was excellent but Leo was too. We can agree that more powerful roles have an edge.




Best Actress in a Leading Role
Amy Adams (American Hustle)
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
Judi Dench (Philomena)
Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)

My favorites: tough categorie. Cate Blanchett was amazing but Meryl Streep and Judi Dench impressed me as well, plus Amy Adams was good once again... my favorites were Cate and Meryl.

Prediction: For what we've seen at award shows till now, Cate Blanchett is going to win.



Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

My favorites: Barkhad Abdi was very good, Michael Fassbender was even better but Jared Leto was just the best. Unrecognizable and amazing. But I'll say it again that I think we shouldn't forget that his role was very powerful and different from others.

Prediction: This time my favorite and Academy's vote will match I suppose.



Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
June Squibb (Nebraska)

My favorites: I think Julia Roberts was marvelous while I don't understand Jennifer Lawrence's nomination. She was amazing last year but this time, I didn't think so. Nevertheless, Lupita Nyong'o was most noticeable I guess. She was very good but Julia was the best in my opinion. Sally was also good.

Prediction: everybody is talking about Lupita so anyone beating her would be a pretty big shocker. Maybe Jennifer (who also received some awards this year) but I doubt.




Best Directing
American Hustle (David O. Russell)
Gravity (Alfonso CuarĂ³n)
Nebraska (Alexander Payne)
12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)
The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)

My favorite was Martin Scorsese and The Wolf of Wall Street.
Prediction: director Alfonso Cuaron has assumed frontrunner status here but I wouln't count out Steve McQueen or David O. Russell.




Best Animated Feature
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
The Wind Rises

I haven't seen Ernest & Celestine and The Wind Rises yet. Despite that, my favorite was honestly Despicable Me 2 but I'm pretty sure Frozen will won. And I don't mind, because it is a beautiful animation movie.



Best Adapted Screenplay
Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke)
Captain Phillips (Billy Ray)
Philomena (Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope)
12 Years a Slave (John Ridley)
The Wolf of Wall Street (Terence Winter)

My favorite is Before Midnight. Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke should be proud! Philomena was positive surprise as well.

Prediction: I think 12 Years a Slave is frontrunner.




Best Original Screenplay
American Hustle (Eric Warren Singer, David O. Russell)
Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
Dallas Buyers Club (Craig Borten, Melisa Wallack)
Her (Spike Jonze)
Nebraska (Bob Nelson)

My favorite: Her was beautiful written and refreshing.
Prediction: thought to say how Academy voted. Maybe American Hustle, maybe Her?



Best Original Song
Happy (Despicable Me 2); Music and Lyric by Pharrell Williams
Let It Go (Frozen); Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
The Moon Song (Her); Music by Karen O; Lyric by Karen O and Spike Jonze
Ordinary Love (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom); Music by Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; Lyric by Paul Hewson

My favorite: Aaaaa, that's the hard one! They are all very good... but may favorite? Young and Beautiful from The Great Gatsby but it's not on the list!? I know I said I'm not going to write about who should be on the list but I was over obsessed with song Young and Beautiful and it's my absolute favorite, no kidding.

Prediction: Let It Go from Frozen it's very memorable and I think will win.


What about your favorites and how do you think Academy will decide? If you missed or forget the rest of nominees, refresh your memory here.

No comments:

Post a Comment