Who loves bananas? I know I do!
And I assume you are thinking something like: they’ll give anything a day these days. But I think healthy suff deserves more attention and celebration! Especially bananas.
You can eat it anywhere and do so many cool recipes with it: banana smoothie, banana muffins, banana bread, banana split, banana cake, etc. My favorite is banana on peanut butter toast. Yum!
7 FUN FACTS ABOUT BANANS
I gathered some interesting information about bananas.
1. Bananas don’t grow on trees. The banana plant is actually the world’s largest herb and related to vanilla and ginger and in the same family as lilies, orchids and palms.
2. Bananas like apples and watermelons can float in water. (Yes, I went and try it!:))
3. The scientific name for banana is musa sapientum, which means “fruit of the wise men”.
4. Eating a banana can help cheer you up! They contain the amino acid, tryptophan plus Vitamin B6 which together help body produce seratonin, chemical which alleviates mental depression.
5. Thanks to its oil, rubbing the inside of a banana peel on a bug bite or on poison ivy will help keep it from itching and getting inflamed. (I need to try that!) Same with a scrape or burn, it will help the pain go away, keep the swelling down, and keep the wound from getting infected.
6. Bananas are naturally slightly radioactive but the level of radiation is not high enough to cause harm.
7. It is believed that there are almost 1000 varieties of bananas in the world, subdivided in 50 groups. The most commonly known banana is the Cavendish variety, which is the one produced for export markets.
What else is there to say? Keep calm and go bananas! No no, I meant eat bananas :)
Happy World Banana Day!