Saturday 5 November 2016

My first half marathon and hallux valgus deformity update

Hi guys.

Last week I ran my first half marathon at Ljubljanski marathon. Yey! Five years ago I ran the 10K, then continued with running (max was always 10K) and later quite stopped because of the feet pain caused by hallux valgus/bunion deformity combined with lack of motivation.

So I decided to do an update. And just to let you know, this is not a 'pretty pictures' post.

Hallux valgus/bunion deformity is supposedly common amongst women but besides my mom I don't know anyone else struggling with this condition. And let me tell you: it is frustrating! I want to talk with others who have it and ask them about what they do to make it better. So if you're reading this and have it... feel free to comment and share your experience

For those who don't know hallux valgus/bunion is a forefoot deformity of the joint connecting the big toe to the foot and is known as a hallux abducto valgus among medical professionals. Bunions occur when pressure is applied to the side of the big toe (hallux) forcing it inwards towards, and sometimes under or over, the other toes (angulation). As pressure is applied, the tissues surrounding the joint may become swollen and tender.


What causes it? Well there is more factors but the main are: genetics (my case) and tight-fitting shoes with pointed toes.

Of course one option is surgery but orthopaedist have different opinions about this (some recommended it and claim it's inevitable, some say the feet are never the same again, etc). I'm not happy about that idea (my mom had operation on both feet) and try to do my best to escape it. Nevertheless I plan to arrange an appointment with orthopaedist in the future and just get his opinion.

Prevention.
I still wear bunion spacers daily and bunion sleeves when I'm at home (of course with socks on). It doesn't look fun or nice but it really helps. I also wear shoes that have enought space and try to avoid uncomfortable ones.

 





Logically when I run I put a lot of pressure on my feet. This is one of the blisters I got during running. It doesn't look big but it's in an unfortune place and so annoying. But it can get better!



Pictures above were taken this May. Since then regular running has helped me to get my feet more firm and less blistery.



Another thing I do regularly is massaging my feet (ok I confess, luckily I have some help from my love:)). Here is the deal. The left 'bone' hurts more but I don't mind harder squeezes and it's actually very flexible. The right one however is very sensitive but in the last 6 months the mobility truly improved because of the massages.

I also do some exercises. You can see them online: click (I do this one at 0:45), click (scrunchie rules) and click.

One of the best things is also to walking barefoot. I love summers when we go on seaside. My feets get so much better at that time. Salt and sea are awesome.

I hope you find some information useful. If you have any tips feel free to write them in a comment below.
And don't forget to follow your goals! You can do it! Find a way and don't give up!



No comments:

Post a Comment